- K. D. Martin understands her work as interdisciplinary practice and artistic research. She explores unprecedented connections between significant formalistic movements and contemporary art. While in her earlier works identity concepts and symbolic meaning are reorganizable, her recent installations and objects show more formal qualities. The aesthetic of her sculptures and installations are mainly induced by sensory and physical properties. Crucial in her practice are the interlinking features of Gestalt and movement.
Life and education
- PhD candidate for philosophical aesthetics at Hochschule für Grafik und Buchkunst (Academy of Fine Arts) Leipzig supervised by Prof. Dr. Marc Rölli (Since 2017)
- Lecturer for Philosophy and Image Theory in the study programme 'Moving Image' at AKI ArtEZ Academy of Art & Design Enschede affiliated with ArtEZ University of the Arts Arnhem/NL (Since 2015)
- Associated Member at the Cluster of Excellence, Interdisciplinary Laboratory Image Knowledge Gestaltung at the Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin (Since 2015)
- PhD student Department of Aesthetics and Art Sciences, Academy of Fine Arts Münster supervised by Prof. Dr. Claudia Blümle (2014-2017)
- Dipl. Fine Arts, Film and New Media, Academy Fine Arts Münster/DE (2013)
- Meisterschüler of Prof. Andreas Köpnick, Academy Fine Arts Münster/DE (2011-2012)
- MA Project Participant, Piet Zwart Institute for Postgraduate studies, Rotterdam/NL (2007)
- BA Monumental & Media Art, AKI ArtEZ Academy of Art & Design Enschede affiliated with ArtEZ University of the Arts Arnhem/NL (2006)
- Dipl. Soz.Päd. University of Applied Sciences Münster/DE (2003)
- Working as varieté acrobat at MAG Moving Art Group (1997-2000)
- Birth and death of a son (*1994 †1999)
- Working as a stripper in Los Angeles/US (1989-1991)
Artist in residences
- International Studio & Curatorial Program ISCP, New York/US (2012)
- Artist Residence at the Robert Wilson Watermill Center, Watermill/US (2009)
Exhibitions and art projects (selection)
- All attitudes, all the shapeliness, all the belongings at RAM foundation Rotterdam/NL (2014)
- Girls rule the world at Torch gallery Amsterdam/NL (2013)
- She Devil Video exhibition at the MACRO Museum of Contemporary Art, Rome/IT (2011)
- Skin-deep at Galerie IRIS CORNELIS, Rotterdam/NL (solo 2011)
- Performance Studies at Watermill Brooklyn Gallery, New York/US (2009)
- The Seamstress at Het Torentje, Almelo/NL (solo 2006)
- Positioning System at MAMA Showroom for Media and Moving Art Rotterdam/NL (2006)
- Kunst in unserer Region at Kunsthaus Kloster Gravenhorst/DE (2005)
Over the art works
Seminars and workshops (selection)
- Martin, Katharina D. (SS 2017): (Hi)story of Moving Image (Film Forms: Expressions, Surrealism, Realism and Dialectics), context module, BA Design Course Moving Image, ArtEZ Academy of Art and Design Enschede affiliated with ArtEZ University of the Arts Arnhem.
- Martin, Katharina D. (SS 2017): Society and Control (Michel Foucault/Gilles Deleuze), philosophy module BA Design Moving Image, ArtEZ Academy of Art and Design Enschede affiliated with ArtEZ University of the Arts Arnhem.
- Martin, Katharina D. (WS 2017/18): Human, Machine, Cyborg. (Lewis Mumford/Pierre Clastres/Gilles Deleuze/Donna Haraway) philosophy module, BA Design Moving Image, ArtEZ Academy of Art and Design Enschede affiliated with ArtEZ University of the Arts Arnhem.
- Martin, Katharina D. (WS 2017/18): Image Theory (On Signs, Affects and Rhythm) philosophy module, BA Design Moving Image, ArtEZ Academy of Art and Design Enschede affiliated with ArtEZ University of the Arts Arnhem.
- Drews A-C., Martin K.D. (WS 2013/14) Körper im Werk von Gilles Deleuze und Michel Foucault Hauptseminar at Academy of Fine Art Münster.
- Center for Visual Arts in Rotterdam, CBK artist data base
- Cluster of Excellence 'Image Knowledge Gestaltung' Humboldt University of Berlin
- Academia.edu profile Katharina D. Martin
- Programme Moving Image at AKI ArtEZ Academy of Art and Design Enschede
- The Watermill Center NY residency
- ISCP International Studio & Curatorial Program NYC residency
- RAM foundation Katharina D. Martin (2014)
- TORCH gallery Girls rule the World (2013)
- International conference Academy of Fine Arts Münster (2013)
- Elisabetta Masala for Artribune 'She devil' in the MACRO IN Rome (2011)
- Ludovica Palmieri for exibart.com 'She devil' in the MACRO in Rome (2011)
- The East & Southampton Press "High heels and mascara in the forest" (2009)
- The Watermill Center residency forest time event (2009)
- A Selection of Performative Work Developed at The Watermill Center NYC (2009)
- Trenbeheer Ceci n'est pas une femme - Katharina D. Martin @ Kunstsuper (2009)
- De Wissel, Aanschouw Witte Withstraat 80 b (2007)